Skip to main content

Share to

Banner Image
Banner Image (For Mobile)
Banner Title
Non-JUPAS (Year-1 Admissions) - FAQs
Banner Description
Applicable to LOCAL applicants
Banner Height
Banner Text Location


If you are seeking admission on the strength of HKDSE results (current or past years), you should follow the application procedures under JUPAS. Otherwise you should submit the application directly to the University via Non-JUPAS (Local Applicants) route. However, if you are a non-local student wishing to seek admission on the strength of HKDSE results, you should also apply via Non-JUPAS route.

No, you can only apply either through JUPAS or Non-JUPAS route, but not both.

Hong Kong permanent residents who are currently studying/residing overseas or attending high school in an international school in Hong Kong are considered as local applicants and should submit their applications via Non-JUPAS route.

Holding a Hong Kong identity card (not a permanent one) does not mean that you are a local applicant. If you hold one of the following documents issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR, you are regarded as a non-local applicant for the purpose of admission to our programmes:

  • student visa / entry permit; or
  • visa / entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
  • dependent visa / entry permit (You were 18 years old or above when you were issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR.)

Please click here for the definitions of local and non-local applicants. 

When you submit an application, you are required to indicate clearly which document you are holding for study. As local and non-local applicants are considered under different admission schemes, you may be asked to provide a copy of your passport/visa to support your application during the admission process. 

All 5-year full-time BEd programmes are aimed at training pre-service teachers who will be equipped well with in-depth major-related knowledge and professional teacher training. Graduates of these programmes are eligible to apply to become fully qualified and registered teachers in kindergarten, primary or secondary schools in Hong Kong subject to the approval by the EDB.

Graduates of the 5-year full-time co-terminal double degree progrmames will be awarded both Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Education qualifications. They will be equipped with solid subject knowledge in addition to in-depth knowledge and skills in professional teaching training.

Graduates of the 4-year full-time complementary undergraduate programmes will be awarded the qualification of Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Social Sciences with solid subject knowledge. Graduates who wish to join the teaching profession may choose to undertake the one-year full-time or two-year part-time Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE) programmes in order to acquire the qualification for registering as qualified teachers.

No. Senior year admissions does not apply to 5-year full-time BEd and co-terminal double degrees programmes. However, block credit transfer up to 30 credit points (i.e. equivalent to the total required credit points for Year 1 study) will be granted to eligible AD/HD graduates with good cumulative GPA. For details, please click here.

Applicants who have been granted block credit transfer/senior year admissions are no longer entitled to apply for credit transfer of individual courses based on their entrance qualifications (i.e. no double benefit). On the contrary, applicants who have not been granted block credit transfer can submit an application for credit transfer of individual courses upon completion of programme registration. Such applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

There is no upper limit on the number of programmes for which each local applicant can apply. Application fee for local applicants is HK$150 per programme. The fee once paid is non-refundable and non-transferable unless the programme in question is cancelled by the University.

No change to your programme choices is allowed after submission. However, you can update your additional educational details / qualifications / grades and upload relevant supporting documents to the Online Application System. Due to system limitations, the maximum capacity of your upload files is 25MB in total whereas the maximum size of each file is 4MB.


Applicants holding non-HKDSE qualifications are eligible to apply via the Non-JUPAS route. These qualifications include AD/HD and international qualifications such as GCE-AL, IB Diploma, SAT, etc. Applicants are also required to meet the University's language requirements, programme-specific entry requirements (if any) and/or admission interview(s)/test(s). Please click here for details.

All applicants have to demonstrate an acceptable level of proficiency in both the Chinese and English languages. Level 2 in HKDSE English and Chinese subjects are considered acceptable for holders of a recognized AD/HD.

For current AD/HD Year 1 students, they are normally required to possess the minimum entrance requirements for JUPAS applicants (including Level 3 in Chinese and English Language subjects in HKDSE) plus at least one year of studies in AD/HD programme.


Admission interview is required for all 5-year full-time undergraduate and 2-year full-time higher diploma programmes. For 4-year full-time undergraduate programmes, direct admission may be made subject to the recommendation from the respective programme teams. Some applicants may be invited for admission interview(s)/test(s) (if applicable) but those who have not been invited for interview(s)/test(s) shall not assume that they are not being considered for admissions.

Shortlisted applicants for admission interview(s)/test(s) will receive relevant details by email and/or SMS. Applicants who do not turn up for the interviews/tests will not be considered for admissions. Due to the tight admission schedule, applicants are strongly advised to check their online application status for the most updated interview/test arrangements. Request for changing the interview/test schedule will not be considered.

Offer and Registration

Successful applicants will normally be informed of admission offer on a rolling basis from February to August. An offer letter will be uploaded to applicants' online application account and they will also be notified via email and SMS. No hard copy will be sent by post. To accept the offer, they must indicate the offer acceptance on their online application account and pay a non-refundable admission acceptance fee by a stipulated deadline.

Main round programme registration will normally be held by end of July. Successful applicants will be informed via email. They are required to visit the registration website which will be launched in July to find out details of the arrangements.

To formally register as a student, successful applicants are required to upload their HKID and apply for official transcripts (including E-transcripts), language test reports, and other supporting documents (if applicable) to be sent directly to the University from the issuing authorities by the deadline as stipulated in the offer letter. Scanned copies of the transcripts and/or score reports uploaded by applicants will not be accepted. Details will be available in the offer letter.

Failure to provide the required documents may result in your unsuccessful enrolment in the programme.  If documents provided are found to be falsified, unclear, misleading or inconsistent with the qualifications stated in your application, or do not fulfill the requirements for admission, the University will have to withdraw your admission offer and all paid fees will not be refunded.