Please note that the application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable unless the programme or subject in question is cancelled by the University.
Tuition Fee (2024/25)
|Full-time PGDE Programmes
|HK$42,100 per annum
|HK$145,000 per annum
|Part-time PGDE Programmes
|HK$21,050 per annum
|HK$72,500 per annum
* If you hold one of the following documents issued by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR, you are regarded as a non-local student for the purpose of admission to our programmes.
- student visa / entry permit; or
- visa / entry permit under the Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG); or
- dependant visa / entry permit (You were 18 years old or above when you were first issued with such visa / entry permit by the Immigration Department of the HKSAR.)
Definition of local and non-local applicants is as listed here. To make direct enquiries on the definition of non-local students, please contact the Education Bureau (EDB) [Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / Fax: (852) 2804 6499].
Student Contribution for Immersion Programme
Full-time students who choose English or Putonghua as their Teaching Subject Study 1 / Major Subject Studies will be required to attend an Immersion Programme. This is a compulsory part of the programme which is heavily subsidised by the University and by other sources of funding. However, students are required to contribute part of the cost.
Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers
The Scholarship for Prospective English Teachers (the Scholarship) is set up by the Education Bureau, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region as one of a series of measures to enhance the professionalism of English teachers in Hong Kong. The aim of the Scholarship is to attract persons proficient in English to pursue relevant local bachelor degree programmes and/ or teacher training programmes which will qualify them to become English teachers on graduation. The amount of scholarship per annum is $50,000 (local students) and $80,000 (non-local students) respectively. For details of application requirements and procedures, please refer to www.edb.gov.hk/scholarship.
HKSAR Government Scholarship Scheme
Scholarships are offered by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government Fund to award full-time UGC-funded students with outstanding academic results and non-academic achievements:
- Talent Development Scholarship - $10,000 each to recognise local / non-local students' talents or potential in non-academic areas: sports; games; music; performing arts; culture, arts & design; innovation, science & technology.
- Reaching Out Award - $10,000 each for local / non-local students to participate in activities outside Hong Kong.
- Endeavour Merit Award - $15,000 each for students with special educational needs.
Students with financial needs may apply for grants and/or loans under the following schemes:
- Tertiary Student Finance Scheme - Publicly funded Programmes (TSFS) (For full-time local students only)
The TSFS is administered by the Government's Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency, and is a means-tested scheme that assists in the form of a grant and/or a loan to full-time students engaged in University Grants Committee-funded programmes. The grant covers tuition fees and academic expenses, whilst the loan is interest-bearing for living expenses. Interest is charged upon graduation or termination of full-time study. Successful applicants of TSFS may also apply for a travel subsidy/hostel subsidy/academic expenses grant for students with special educational needs, and those attending compulsory overseas field trips/immersion programmes may receive an additional grant.
- Non-means-tested Loan Schemes (NLSFT, NLSPS and ENLS) (For full/part-time local students only)
Also administered by the Government's Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency, the NLSFT and NLSPS provide financial assistance in the form of a loan to complement the TSFS, respectively. Loans from NLSFT and NLSPS are solely used to settle tuition fees. The ENLS is the extended version of the NLSFT/NLSPS and provides loans to eligible students who are not covered under the TSFS to settle tuition fees. All three schemes operate on a full-cost recovery basis. Interest is charged once the loan is drawn down and throughout the repayment period until the loan is fully repaid. An administration fee to cover the full costs of processing and administering the NLS loan(s) is/are chargeable for each application and annually thereafter until the NLS loan(s) and the interests are fully repaid.
- Bursaries and Interest-free Loans (For full-time local students only)
Students with financial needs can apply for bursaries and interest-free loans. These include general bursaries, hall bursaries, language immersion bursaries, bursaries for students with disabilities and interest-free loans (subject to the donation amount and selection criteria set by donors)
- Emergency Funds and Emergency Loans
Students with unforeseeable financial hardship caused by emergency circumstances may apply for emergency grant and loan throughout the academic year. The emergency circumstances occurred within 12 months shall include but are not limited to:
- Personal accident, serious illness, death or unemployment of the bread-winner of student’s family.
- An immediate need to return home/travel abroad in times of emergency.
- Sudden symptom(s)/episode(s) of anxiety or depression, for example by covering expenses relating to consultation and treatment with a private psychiatrist upon referral by the University’s medical staff.
For details of the financial assistance provided by the HKSAR government, please visit the Student Finance Office’s homepage at www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/sfo/eng/index.htm.