Minimum Admission Requirements
Full-time PGDE programmes
To be eligible for admission to the full-time PGDE programme, applicants should hold a recognised* Bachelor's degree or equivalent.
Part-time PGDE programmes
To be eligible for admission to the part-time PGDE programme, applicants should
- hold a recognised* Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; and
- be serving teachers in Hong Kong schools (Field Experience Requirements)
- Applicants holding a degree conferred by an overseas country may be required to provide the “Report for Qualifications Assessment” issued by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications (HKCAAVQ) in order to support their applications.
- Applicants who obtained degrees from universities in Mainland China are required to provide Online Verification Report of Higher Education Degree Certificate (中國高等教育學位在線驗證報告) and Online Verification Report of Higher Education Qualification Certificate (教育部學歷證書電子註冊備案表) issued by the CHSI (學信網) ( www.chsi.com.cn/xlcx/bgcx.jsp) with a validity period of six months. Both Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree Certificate (學士/碩士學位證書) and Bachelor’s / Master’s Graduation Certificate (本科/碩士畢業證書) are also required.
For detailed admission requirements of each programme, please click below:
Language Requirements for PGDE Full-time Applicants
English Language Requirements
- hold a recognised Bachelor's/higher degree conferred by a local university/institution or an institution in English speaking system; or
- fulfill one of the following minimum English proficiency requirements:
- IELTS 6.0 (Academic);
- a TOEFL score of 80 (internet-based test);
- GCSE / GCE OL English Grade C or above;
- GCE AS Level or AL Level English Grade E or above;
- Band 6 in the Chinese Mainland's College English Test (CET) (a total score of 430 or above and the test result should be valid within two years); or
- Other equivalent qualifications.
Note: Students who are solely holding result of CET6 in order to meet the English language admission requirement should provide verification certificate (成績證明) issued by the National Education Examinations Authority (中國教育考試網) (bbcjzm.neea.edu.cn/) before programme registration. Please refer to individual offer letter for details.
Chinese Language Requirements for PGDE(Primary), PGDE(Secondary) and PGDE(Early Childhood Education) applicants (except those choosing English as TSS/MSS or EMI class)
- hold a recognised Bachelor's/higher degree conferred by a local university/institution or an institution in Chinese speaking system; or
- obtain Level 2 / Grade E or above in the HKCEE Chinese Language (applicable to holders of a local recognised Associate Degree / Higher Diploma); or
- obtain Grade E or above in ASL Chinese Language & Culture in the HKALE; or
- obtain Level 3 or above in Chinese Language in the HKDSE.
Notes to Non-Chinese Speaking and Putonghua Speaking Applicants
Non-Chinese speaking applicants who apply for PGDE (Primary) and PGDE (Secondary) programme should choose the One-TSS Route (English) or MSS in English. For Part-time PGDE (ECE) programme, non-Chinese speaking applicants should indicate English as the medium of instruction in the field of "Class" (subject to sufficient enrolment) when they submit their application. Putonghua-speakers should apply for Putonghua / Chinese / English as TSS / MSS in PGDE (Primary) / PGDE (Secondary) programme.