|Certificate in PDP for Middle Leaders in Schools
|Mode of Study
|Full-time Block Release
|Tseung Kwan O Study Centre
|Dr Chan Tsan Ming Kenneth
|Miss Annie Wu 2948 7610
Being a middle manager in a school is by no means an easy job. One has to take charge of both teaching duty as well as to shoulder administrative duty. Needless to say, as a middle leader, one has to also assume a leading role in different functional groups in school. It has proven to be a difficult job. This programme aims to help participants to:
- understand the practical role and function of a middle leader in school;
- acquire or enhance the major skills and employ specific strategies in dealing with day to day duty as a middle leader;
- understand the trend of decentralising resource management and the school finance context in Hong Kong;
- articulate the global trend and perspectives of human resources management and recent financial resources management for school improvement;
- understand proper procedures in issues of human resources administration in schools; and
- understand the difficulty of human resources management and ways to deal with it.
The programme comprises the following three core courses of 3 credit points each:
Middle Leader in Action
This course aims at developing participants’ understanding and acquiring the practical strategies and the skills necessary to enhance their day to day duties, including continuous professional development and teacher standard, legal aspect of education, crises management and intervention, knowledge management and transfer, complaint management and conflict resolution, team role and team building etc.
Management of Human and Financial Resources
The course examines theories and issues of effective school management and explores ways in which school middle management can secure and sustain school improvement. Participants are expected to demonstrate an understanding of the concept of human and financial resources management and how school middle managers can effectively perform their roles and duties.
School Improvement and Accountability
In this course, the essential elements of SDA framework will be discussed and then follow on exploring the development of individual function group’s plan with an ultimate aim to contribute and ensure its sustainable development of the whole school under the present emerging SDA framework.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction is mainly Chinese (Cantonese) and will be supplemented by English where appropriate.
|Period of Study
|13 November to 16 December 2023
|26 February to 30 March 2024
|15 April to 18 May 2024
To be eligible for admission, applicants should be:
- in-service primary, secondary or special school teachers holding middle leading positions or teachers with potential to be promoted to the middle leader ranks; and
- recommended by school principals.
Remarks: Each school can recommend more than one teacher.
To be awarded a Certificate of Completion, participants must obtain a pass in all assessment tasks required and successfully fulfill the attendance requirements as stipulated by the programme.
This Government-funded programme is supported by the Education Bureau (EDB). Schools which release teachers to take this programme are eligible for supply teachers, if deemed necessary. Government and aided schools shall contact the EDB for detailed arrangements. Private and DSS schools shall make their own arrangements for the employment of supply teachers.
Participants who complete our PDPs are eligible to apply for credit transfer if they enroll in our postgraduate programmes. Their applications will be considered on an individual basis.