|Certificate in PDP for Teachers Using English as the Medium of Instruction in Secondary Schools
|Mode of Study
|Full-time Block Release
|Tai Po Campus
|Ms Chan Ka Yin Clairine
|Ms Cheung 2948 7424
Mr Yau 2948 7250
This Key Learning Area (KLA) Specific Programme aims to develop teachers' specialised knowledge and classroom skills required to teach their content subjects effectively through English.
By the end of the Programme, participants should be able to:
- demonstrate an enhanced understanding of aspects of rationale for and principles underlying English medium education in Hong Kong;
- demonstrate an enhanced understanding of the role of language in learning;
- demonstrate an awareness of a range of strategies for effective planning and classroom teaching and learning of their own subject through English;
- demonstrate enhanced knowledge and skills using English as the medium of instruction in their own subject.
The programme comprises the following course:
Teaching Content Subjects in the English Medium (3 credit points)
The course is based on the principle that language learning is an integral part of subject learning and that language and content cannot be separated. The course will build on participants' knowledge, skills and experiences in teaching their KLAs/ content subjects (e.g. science and PSHE) in the English medium and aims to further promote their effectiveness in the delivery of content knowledge in the English medium. The course reflects the belief that subject teachers should be aware of the role of language in the learning of different KLAs or content subjects. They should recognise the demands placed upon students in their negotiation of academic language required for the learning of different KLAs/ content subjects, and should be able to draw upon a range of strategies (e.g. language across curriculum) to support the development of academic language necessary for working towards success in schooling.
More detailed course outlines can be found in https://www.eduhk.hk/ele/programmes/professional-development-programmes
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction is English.
|Period of Study
|3 July to 9 July 2024
To be eligible for admission, applicants should be:
- in-service secondary school teachers in Hong Kong; and
- recommended by their respective school principals.
To be awarded a Certificate of Completion, participants must obtain a pass in course assessment tasks required and successfully fulfill the attendance requirements as stipulated by the programme.